Monday, November 19, 2012

When you leave Manu and I home alone for too long...

I'm finding the days when nothing goes as planned are some of the best days. 
       Today school was fine, as usual. Planned on going to Madrid to go shopping with some other exchange students after school. Ran home and changed my clothes, packed my backpack, and made Guzman call Rafa to ask if I could go because he wasn't home then or during lunch. He said yes so I ran for the bus stop to be there almost exactly at 5. I waited for THIRTY-FIVE MINUTES before I decided to call it quits. The boys were super surprised when I walked through the door. I told them I didn't know what time the bus was supposed to come and Rafa told me I should look on the internet. I did, and guess what? The bus I was waiting for was supposed to come every 15 minutes! Whateva! I did some homework then mixed up a bizcocho (A european cake thing). This time I added some crushed hazelnuts that Grandma sent me with.




I put that in the oven and ran to La Mocha (our little place with the bars, one super market, a bakery, and other miscellaneous store) to buy some bread. The stores only bake baguettes in the morning so I bought one unbaked for 0.70 centimos and ran home. Manu and I waited for the cake to be done then started cooking the bread. While that was happening, Manu decided we needed to start the pasta now instead of waiting 'till 8 (Rafa and Guzman would be home at 8:30 from fútbol). We boiled the pasta and decided to do a cheese sauce with it. That consisted of cream cheese, butter, flour, salt, pepper, milk, and various spices. It was delicious and even better when we added tomato! Everything in Spain is better with tomato.

Don't worry, it's supposed to be ugly. 
I had to keep stirring the pasta to keep it hot 'till Guzman and Rafa got home at 9:10, so the pasta was a little mushy, but still fantastic! I cut the freshly baked bread and we ate in happiness.
I then had this to deal with....dishes and cheese everywhere!


2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! That sounds lovely. Did you cook much in OR or is this a new skill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I baked a lot in Oregon, but not much cooking. Here I don't know how to use the oven very well and I haven't yet found brown sugar, so I can't bake as often. :(
    I am teaching English to a sibling group of two for one hour a week. I get paid 10 euros and the mom teaches me how to cook something each time. Next time will be meatballs!
    Thanks for all your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews