Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Making friends....the unexpected ones.

The other day while walking to church on Saturday night I stopped to ask a woman if I could pet her dog. She of course said yes, then asked my name. When I told her, she automatically switch into English- full Californian English. Her name is Virginia and has lived in Spain for around 45 years. I spent a long time talking with her about my exchange and things. (All the while she was yelling at me because it was very cold out and I was wearing flip-flops.) She gave me her phone number and I continued my walk. I arrived at the church about 5 minutes before my host mom was coming to pick me up, so I was definitely not going to disturb the almost-over-mass, then turn around and leave. Right when my host mom pulled up, Virginia came the other way and said, "Come here, I made you some American meatloaf....ok it's only American because I put BBQ sauce on it. Put some shoes on!"
         Today, 3 days later, I called her up during my lunch break. Of course I had my own lunch packed, but she offered something much more delicious- enchiladas. We ate and chatted about her spanish husband her 5 children. She told me all about her studies in college- majoring in Spanish- then about her coming to live in Spain. I feel like she's the grandma I'm very much in need of, as now I don't have any in Spain. She's not like any of my grandmas in Oregon- all three very different, very loving, and now very important to me.
         So if you only really hear one thing from this story, hear that anyone and everyone is looking for friendship. If you stop and take the time, give an ear, you can make someone very happy and, in turn, create happiness for yourself.

2 comments:

Total Pageviews